Despite Dem’s Attempted Murphy Mag Fix, Law Still Bans Cops from Standard Gun Mags
By Evan Nappen
By Evan F. Nappen, Attorney at Law
New Jersey – -(AmmoLand.com)- New Jersey Cops were surprised to discover that under the Governor Murphy Mag Ban they too could not possess any magazine over ten rounds while off-duty. Usually, anti-gun Democrats exempt police from such laws meant to control the peasants. How did this happen?
It happened because of the legacy of the law created by New Jersey’s original 1990 Florio Mag Ban. Even though the Murphy Administration rushed to pass legislation to correct their political mistake and allow off-duty officers to possess magazines up to 17 rounds, this latest “fix” is still a legal fail.
Here is the timeline:
- May 1990 – The Florio Mag Ban is passed which prohibits “large capacity ammunition magazines” (15 round limit).
- Possession is banned under N.J.S. 2C:39-3 and
- Transport is banned under N.J.S. 2C:39-9.
- The “off-duty” issue/problem/flaw exists for both sections under Florio Mag Ban but is generally ignored because most handguns do not have magazines over 15 rounds.
- June 2018 – The Murphy Mag Ban was passed lowering the limit to 10 rounds.