ATF: No reported gun thefts during Hurricane Florence
By Christen Smith
Mike Pollack searches for a drain in the yard of his flooded waterfront home a day after Hurricane Florence hit the area, on September 15, 2018 in Wilmington, North Carolina. (Photo: Mark Wilson/Getty Images)
No federally licensed dealers reported any store break-ins or thefts during Hurricane Florence, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives confirmed this week.
April Langwell, chief of the ATF’s public affairs division, told Guns.com on Monday the agency received zero reports of firearms stolen during the storm — a stark difference from hurricanes past.
Last year, looters made off with more than 100 guns after Hurricane Harvey dumped more than four feet of rain on Houston, sparking catastrophic flooding across the city. Dealers located in storm-impacted states during Hurricanes Irma and Matthew, likewise, said criminals took the opportunity to break-in, stealing dozens — and in one case, hundreds — of guns.
“During hurricanes and similar natural disasters, ATF regularly communicates with the Federal Firearms Licensees in the affected areas to ensure they are employing best safety practices available to secure their inventory and records during the storm,” ATF spokesman Christopher Elolf told ABC News last week.
ATF Acting Director Thomas Brandon testified before Congress earlier this year these types of crimes