By Jenn Jacques
Leave it to a
In a meandering post, Rich Duprey (aka: the Fool) claims to have found “strong evidence indicating women are taking an interest in firearm ownership”.
WOW, you don’t say.
Females have consistently comprised the fastest growing segment of the shooting sports industry for year. The facts speak for themselves:
- Between 2001 and 2013, women involved in target shooting grew from 3.3 million to 5.3 million.
- During the same period, the number of female hunters grew from 1.3 million to 3.3 million.
- 56% of women reported they owned at least one gun, which was also likely to be a semiautomatic handgun (a shotgun was second).
- Gun retailers estimate 20% of their sales are to women.
- 73% of all women gun owners have taken a firearms safety course.
Meanwhile, the Pew Research Center reported a 9 point increase in the number of women supporting gun rights over gun control from 2008 to 2012. The number of concealed carry permits for women has jumped 270% since 2007. While these stats come as no shock to those of us in the firearms industry, it’s about time we start seeing it from the “fools” in main-stream media outlets.
Source:: Bearing Arms