Republished with permission from gunfreeut.org:
1. Campus Carry won’t have much impact because CHL holders must be over 21 and few such students live on campus. WRONG:
- Over 5000 people within a 5 mile radius of UT-Austin’s campus have CHLs
- Reciprocal laws will allow thousands more people with licenses from other states to enter our place of work and learning and our students’ on-campus homes.
2. Campus Carry will allow people to protect themselves from criminals. WRONG:
- Guns prove to be no more effective at protecting people from crime than other weapons and less effective than running and hiding or calling the police.
3. Gun Free zones attract criminals with guns. WRONG:
- Mass shootings on & around college campuses are horrific and scary, but they are rare.
- College campuses are among the safest places in Texas and the US.
- Mass shooters do not choose their targets because they are in Gun Free zones
4. Good Guys with guns can stop Bad Guys with guns. WRONG: