Garage turns out to be made from surplus Brit .303 ammo boxes (PHOTOS)
By Chris Eger
Even after their use as the center of a sheetrock wall, the crates were still “surprisingly stout.”
A contractor in Prescott, Arizona was amazed to find out the garage he was hired to demo was made up primarily of WWII-era British ammo crates.
The house was made in 1926, but as contractor Phil Nugent told the (Prescott) Daily Courier, the wooden ammo boxes were all dated 1943.
While marked as holding 1248-rounds each, Nugent thought he hit the milsurp motherlode or perhaps some other treasure until he cracked open the first one and found it empty– an act that was repeated dozens of times.
Used as the core of the garage’s walls, the sturdy Winchester-marked crates once used to carry the King’s Enfield and Bren gun cartridges were nailed together as the meat in a drywall sandwich.
Note the Winchester logo on some of the boxes. From 1940 onwards, Peters, Remington Arms, Winchester Repeating Arms and Western Cartridge cranked out millions of .303 rounds for the British and Commonwealth military under Lend-Lease.
The Mk VII cartridge, standardized in 1915, used a cordite packet charge and a 174-grain cupro-nickel coated pointed lead bullet. WRA made the nitrocellulose version, the Mk ViiZ, packed 26 48-round boxes per crate.