Federal court extends ban on release of 3D gun plans
By Chris Eger
“The very purpose for which the private defendants seek to release this technical data is to arm every citizen outside of the government’s traditional control mechanisms of licenses, serial numbers, and registration,” said U.S. District Judge Robert Lasnik this week, extended a temporary ban he ordered late last month. (Photo: DefDist)
A federal judge in Seattle on Monday extended an injunction blocking the distribution of downloadable 3D printed gun files.
U.S. District Judge Robert Lasnik extended the temporary ban, at least until the matters settles in court, saying public safety concerns raised regarding the availability of the plans outweighed free speech issues expressed by Cody Wilson, who has fought to make the plans available online.
“The Court finds that the irreparable burdens on the private defendants’ First Amendment rights are dwarfed by the irreparable harms the States are likely to suffer if the existing restrictions are withdrawn and that, overall, the public interest strongly supports maintaining the status quo through the pendency of this litigation,” said Lasnik, after he pointed out that the jurisdictions that sought to stop the files represent 160 million Americans, “many of whom have seen the threat level of their daily lives increase year after year.”
Going further, the jurist,