Posted June 28, 2017 9:17 am by Comments

By Jennifer Cruz

Alton Sterling was shot outside of a Baton Rouge convenience store last July. (Photo: Jonathan Bachman / Reuters)
Attorneys representing the five children of Alton Sterling, a 37-year-old black man who was shot outside of a Baton Rouge convenience store by a white police officer last year, filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the city Tuesday.
The 43-page complaint lists defendants as officers Blane Salamoni – who fired the fatal shots – and Howie Lake II, as well as Chief of Police Carl Dabadie, Jr., the Baton Rouge Police Department, the City of Baton Rouge and East Baton Rouge Parish.
“The City of Baton Rouge has a long standing pervasive policy of tolerating racist behavior by some of its officers,” the lawsuit says, adding there have been multiple reports of officers making racist comments and the tolerance of such comments has led to the mistreatment of the black community. As a result, the lawsuit says Sterling’s death was the result of poor training and inadequate procedures.
Michael Adams, who represents Sterling’s children, said he realizes there’s nothing that can be done to bring Sterling back. “This is about his children and this is about bringing this community together,” he said.
Attorney L. Chris Stewart,

Source: Guns.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *