Cab driver cleared in fatal shooting of armed robber who threatened to ‘shank’ him (VIDEO)
By Chris Eger
Prosecutors have ruled the use of force by a Massachusetts cabbie who fought back after he was attacked by two men seeking to rob him as self-defense.
Bristol County DA Thomas M. Quinn III last week said the unidentified Yellow Cab driver was cleared by his office in the Aug. 10 shooting that left one of his attackers, Christopher Dunton, 24, of New Bedford, dead.
“After a thorough investigation, it is clear that the cab driver acted in lawful self-defense and the use of deadly force was justified under the circumstances,” Quinn said, as reported by South Coast Today.
The second robbery suspect, Kyle S. Dawson, 23, of New Bedford, was indicted on multiple felony charges by a Bristol County Grand Jury in early October. According to prosecutors, Dawson and Dunton were picked up just before 1:00 a.m. by the cab driver from a local address and, once in the vehicle, the two men asked for change for a $50 then moved to rob the driver, placing him in a chokehold and pulling a knife.
Assistant District Attorney Robert Digiantnmasco said at Dawson’s arraignment that Dunton held the cab driver by the neck while Dawson held a “black tactical knife” to the man’s side