18-year Ban on Exporting American-made Suppressors Lifted
By Chris Eger
The 2002 State Department blocked suppressor exports from U.S. companies to overseas commercial markets. That prohibition was lifted this month. (Photo: Chris Eger/Guns.com)
President Trump’s administration last week quietly dropped a longstanding ban on the commercial export of firearm suppressors, effective immediately.
In 2002, during the administration of President George W. Bush, the U.S. State Department dropped the hammer on commercial suppressor exports, which barred potentially lucrative overseas markets to American can makers. Now, after years of lobbying by pro-gun industry groups, the door is now open.
“Effective immediately, the Department of State has rescinded its April 18, 2002, firearms sound suppressor policy,” said a notice posted Friday to the Department’s Directorate of Defense Trade Controls website.
Suppressor trade groups feel the move will allow American companies to compete in already-existing foreign markets, which will in turn generate millions of dollars in revenue for small businesses as U.S.-built suppressors are exported overseas, creating jobs in the process.
“We applaud the Trump Administration for taking charge and allowing American businesses to compete in thriving markets abroad,” said Knox Williams, president of the American Suppressor Association. “This change in policy will create hundreds of jobs at a time when our country needs them most.”
The ASA helped back